The Australian Native Bee Book: Keeping Stingless Bee Hives For Pets, Pollination and Sugarbag Honey by Dr Tim Heard
The Australian Native Bee Book:
Keeping stingless bees and hives for pets, pollination and sugarbag honey
By Tim Heard
Keeping native stingless bees is a hot topic in Australia for commercial, environmental and recreational reasons.
You can do something about the decline of pollinators by conserving native bees.
In this book you’ll find the complete guide to native stingless bees, written by an expert who has spent his lifetime intimately engaged with these unique creatures.
Whether you keep a hive or two in your suburban garden, or want to use multiple hives on a commercial farm, this friendly guide has you covered.
Inside you’ll find the complete guide to native stingless bees, including:
- Bee biology, behaviour, nesting, social life and foraging
- How to build your own native bee hive
- How to transfer a bee colony to a hive box and propagate hives
- All about sugarbag honey, including how to extract it from hives
- Managing your hive
- Identifying and dealing with pests
- Using stingless bees for pollination — from small gardens to commercial crops
- A complete list of Australia’s stingless bee species, how to identify them, their characteristics, where they occur, and recommended hives
- A readable summary of the latest research on native bees
- Richly illustrated with over 500 photos, drawings and charts